Domestic violence is a substantial social issue in Australia.
Recent statistics show the extent of the problem in Australia:
• 3 million women and children have been subjected to domestic violence;
• 8 women per day are hospitalised because of domestic violence;
• police are called to a domestic violence situation every 2 minutes;
• 650 homes per day are attended by police because of a domestic
• 25% of all women will be subjected to domestic violence; and
• 80% of domestic violence cases involve children who are co-parented.
These statistics do not factor in the likelihood that only 20% of women
will actually report that they are being subjected to domestic violence.
Given these sobering statistics, experts say that not only was 2020 the
‘worst year’ on record for domestic violence, but also that ‘the family
is one of the most violent groups in Australia’.
Hands of Hope Foundation Incorporation is a registered charity and tax
deductible gift recipient that seeks to provide pathways to hope for
vulnerable people who are experiencing life challenging events, particularly
family & domestic violence.